Friday, March 14, 2014

Of Mountains and Manly Men

There's something therapeutic about spending time in nature. Especially when that time involves doing something difficult. Over the past few weekends Carter, Jayden and I have been taking a couple hours to either hike or run in the mountains. Provo may not be the prettiest place in the world, but it sure has amazing mountains and as I've spent some time in them I've been rejuvenated and uplifted.

But...I've also been humbled...and felt a little jealous. See, I'm an active person and actually enjoy exercise (which is a good thing because I also really enjoy ice cream. And chocolate. And pizza. And cookies. And mashed potatoes. And so much more). I'm fairly consistent with getting my 4-6 workouts a week so when I suggested to Carter that we go for a run in the canyon I secretly thought it'd be a good opportunity for him to see how cool and fast I was. I guess I just like to try to impress him or something.

So anyways, on the morning of our run I nonchalantly put on my cutest running outfit and did my hair in a sassy pony tail. We got to the trail and began.....I thought I was going to die. We started out quickly and I assumed that Carter would slow down eventually. Nope. He sped up. People, this is a man who HATES running. He NEVER runs, unless I very sweetly ask him to go with me. He's good about going to the gym, but he keeps his workouts to lifting only. Yet there he was, smokin my trash, while pushing the stroller no less. He kept trying to make conversation with me, not seeming to notice that at any moment I was going to pass out. Or throw up.

Now maybe I'm exaggerating a little. Once Carter reads this he's going to scoff and say "but we weren't even going fast". Yes honey, we were. You're just insane. Or I'm slower than a wounded caterpillar. Probably both actually. But regardless, that was a fast run. Faster than I've done in a couple years actually, so I guess it was good.

Just today we hiked the Y. It was wonderful to look out over the valley, taking a moment to step outside our lives and just appreciate the beauty. As I looked down over the city I couldn't help but wish I could tell all the bustling busy people to slow down and relax for a moment. There's something about climbing a mountain that reminds you of the big picture. It reminds you that all those little things we stress over really don't matter in the long run. Anyways it was a wonderful hike. Carter was good about taking it at my pace..so naturally we were passed by far more people than we passed and almost got lapped by a girl who was doing hill repeats. Literally she began after we started up the trail and was on her second time up by the time we started our way down. Nuts.

Here's a few pictures of our adventures. Unfortunately I'm a horrible photographer so please excuse the shadows.

The cool wrap my mom gave me that we use to keep Jayden secure while we hike

Trail head of the Y

On the top...notice Jayden completely conked out. Hiking is hard. 

The valley! 

Family pic a sweet girl took for us. Unfortunately we didn't notice Carter's closed eyes until after she left. Once again, Jayden is sleeping. 

Hiking in the canyon. I love that little guy poking out of dad's jacket! 

My handsome guys on our run in the canyon


Finished and sweaty. So much for a sassy pony tail. Jayden's monster sweatshirt is cute though












1 comment:

  1. Love love love your blog helps me focus on what is important in life. Love you and love the pictures of your sweet family!♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete