Thursday, March 6, 2014

Green Smoothies and Satan's Cookies

So I love the idea of a green smoothie. A delicious AND nutritious drink that I can feel good about indulging in sounds too good to be true.....until now. My oh my have I found a winner! This bad boy is packed with protein, complex carbs (from the veggies), vitamins and minerals. It's a PERFECT post workout meal, giving your body all the nutrients it needs to recover. And, (maybe most importantly...) it tastes SO GOOD! Honestly, it's my motivation to get my booty out of bed and to the gym in the morning. I've been so excited about it that I thought I ought to share so that anyone reading can also enjoy. Excuse my lack of exact measurements. I've changed the amounts up each time and get similar results so I don't think it matters too much.

So here you are:

1 medium banana (preferably slightly overripe)
1 medium dollop of light greek yogurt (any flavor, plain if you want to cut out excess sugar)
1 heaping spoonful of peanut butter (go for natural PB! A little pricier but without that nasty hydrogenated oil)
1 handful of frozen berries
1 very generous handful of spinach
Milk (enough to barely see it around the rims of the pile, like you'd put in a bowl of cereal)
1 spoonful of honey.

Blend. Drink up.

If you're feeling chic and trendy put in some kale too. Yes it's kind of expensive but it's full of insane nutrients that will make you feel like a rock star. Or so they say. Also if you're vegan, substitute the milk for almond milk---it'll still be very good. Some people might want to use regular yogurt instead of greek (regular is cheaper). If that's you, go for it, but recognize that it won't be as creamy and you'll be lessening the overall amount of protein and upping the sugar.

Ok, also a couple weeks ago my friend and her husband dropped by a bag of snickerdoodles. Now usually I'm not a snickerdoodle person, but holy moly batman these are GOOD! Within moments I was exercising some insane self control to keep from taking a third, but naturally, that didn't last for very long. I asked my friend for the recipe and she sheepishly confessed that they were actually cake mix cookies. WHATTTT??? I've dubbed them "Satan's cookies" because they are SO easy to make and SO easy to overindulge on. Seriously they're just small and cute and you think "Oh its ok if I only have one, it won't kill me" but next thing you know you've eaten seven and your body is nearly out of insulin.

1 box of white "Supermoist" cake mix
1 egg
1/2 cup of butter
1/4 cup of cinnamon sugar.

mix mix mix. Form into little balls. Roll into cinnamon sugar. 350' for about 10 minutes. Take them out when they look underdone and after they cool they'll be PERFECTLY chewy. mmmmm just thinking about them makes my mouth water. But they've been banned from our apartment because I can't handle only eating one or two.

So there you go cyberspace. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment