Friday, November 7, 2014

Dream Lists

Throughout my life as I've done self evaluations on who I currently am and who I want to become I've established lists of things I want to do in my life. Some of these things may not happen, for all I know, I'll die tomorrow. But I figure if I'm always working toward something on the list, especially the things that are most important, I will have lived a wonderful life.

  I think it's important to, along with fulfilling family responsibilities, always be improving myself. I want to continue developing hobbies and learning new things. I think one of the purposes of life is to always be working on some sort of goal. It keeps things interesting and gives you something to think about. During some phases of life (such as when you're bone tired with a baby, have a house full of kids, or feel overwhelmed with work) you have to put some "dreams" on the back burner while you focus on more pressing things. But, I think they should always be there for you to return to. So, at the moment, here is my list of things I'd like to do. A lot of these things will take a lot of time and hard work, and I'm sure the list will be changed. But occasionally I like to go through it and dream about how I'm going to pull it all off...

-Fiercely love my husband every day. Choose to always love him. Become a wonderful wife. (Most important)

-Strive every day to be the mother the Lord wants me to be. And keep going when I fall short. (Most important)

-Create a happy, safe, welcoming, uplifting home for my family (most important)

-Truly know the scriptures and be able to teach from them

-Travel to many of the places I've read about and learn about the culture/customs of the area

-Take 2-3 days to explore the Smithsonians by myself. Last time I was there I was rushed through and wished I could've just sat and read all day. I'm one of those nerds who loves museums.

-Write a book about something. The thought terrifies me, but I'd love to try

-Become a brilliant garderner. Considering I've yet to keep a plant alive for longer than 2 months, this will be a miracle when it happens

-Learn to love early mornings and become an early bird. Again, this will be a miracle when it happens

-Read and study Shakespeare. Understand why he's so great

-Learn to love great literature and teach my children to appreciate it. Read to my kids a lot.

-Figure out why poetry is such a big deal to people

-Go on a humanitarian trip to a 3rd world country with my family. Learn about the cultures, customs, and traditions of the people and help my children see different ways of life.

-Develop and help my family develop a servant's heart by continually looking for ways to help in the world and community (most important)

-Serve a mission with my husband

-Set a fitness goal every year and accomplish it. Having a baby counts as a fitness goal for the year because it's an incredible physical undertaking :)

-Finish my bachelors degree (working on it) and possibly go back to school someday for a higher degree

-Go on a "honeymoon" every year with my husband. It doesn't have to be fancy or costly, but plan it together and make it work.

   Each of these things will take lots of planning, hard work, and possibly years to accomplish. I may not get to many of them until I'm old and gray (especially the "become an early morning person" goal). But luckily, life is long. I don't have to be everything or do everything right now. I want to live life to the fullest and I think that means making goals, coming up with plans to accomplish those goals, and then being flexible when life doesn't turn out how you planned. Because it never does, which is why it's so interesting.

Anyways, I just thought I'd share. If anybody ever reads this, I'd love to hear about some of your "bucket list" dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment