Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Work and School


Well I've been suffering from bloggers block. On Easter I had planned to write something brilliant about our gratitude for Jesus Christ; however, after a long time of thinking nothing profound was coming to mind. I want to ponder a little more and try to gather my thoughts, but to be honest, when that "gratitude" post finally does appear it will probably be very simple (which most of the time seems to be more sincere anyways). As I'm sure you've noticed, I'm no writer. I'm not very witty, insightful, I use too many cliches, and I'm unsure of how to properly use commas and semicolons. Someday I'll learn but for now I don't really mind, so hopefully you don't!
So for today's post I thought I'd talk about our gratitude for school and work. Carter and I are both undergrads at BYU with about 1-2 years left. By going year round, I’ll be done taking classes next April and he'll finish in December of '14. Carter is studying civil engineering and I Exercise and Wellness
Carter is smart. And it’s great. He makes awesome grades, enjoys his engineering homework, and actually applies what he learns to life. As a student who struggles to remember a semester’s worth of material after the final, I find this very admirable. Often times we’ll go into some nice building and he’ll get excited, showing me cool beams and various structures. He’ll try to explain why they’re so fantastic, and while I’m interested, I don’t really understand. He is a TA for an engineering class working anywhere from12-15 hours a week and really loves the Clyde building, his “home away from home”. I love going into the lab and seeing all the students ask him for help; he really cares about their success and has said a few times how much he’d like to teach someday after he retires. Just a couple weeks ago he was offered a position as an intern at a local engineering firm. He had to adjust his schedule, but eagerly accepted the job, adding another 20 hours a week to his already busy life. As an intern he works as the “soils technician” where he uses cool equipment to test the density of soil---pretty glamorous! But really, it is cool. Anyways, I don’t know how he does it all, still finding time to take me on dates and for last minute Smith’s sushi runs. He’s a wonderful, hardworking guy.
I always chuckle when I tell people my major because I find that I get one of three reactions. People either A: ask what I plan to do with it, while silently congratulating my husband on his practical major, B: update me on how they’re doing with weight loss/maintaining a healthy lifestyle or C: sheepishly turn away with a polite “oh”, seeming to assume that I’m judging their bodies or the food they’re eating. My silent responses to the following are: to Aers: I agree and often wonder the same thing, to B-ers: Be careful about starting up that conversation because I can go on for hours and will gladly share my nonprofessional philosophys about everything and to C-ers: relax. I don’t judge and fiercely believe that pizza and dessert are necessary parts of a happy life. Someday I’ll write a lengthy post about my views on society’s messed up views of health; but today is not that day. The bottom line is that in school, my favorite subjects were always recess, lunch, PE, and health—they were the only subjects that did not stress me out. Put all of those together and you get Exercise and Wellness. I also currently work as a desk clerk for the media center in the HBL Library. It’s a great job with an easy 20 hours a week. I love to read and have enjoyed being surrounded by books. I always have at least one thing checked out and am beginning to really grasp the dewey decimal system. 
Carter and I are so blessed to be getting an education from BYU. While I often gripe about homework and threaten to drop out, I really do feel a lot of gratitude. I’ve never been one to enjoy “going to school” but there is something powerful and rewarding about figuring out the world. We are lucky to have our great jobs, and both feel that overall, life is good :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment