Sunday, December 27, 2015

Early Morning Joys

A while ago my sweet cousin sent me a link to the article "I really love my daughter, but I'm not supposed to talk about that". It's an insightful and thought provoking read that I really enjoyed. Though not nearly as talented in writing, I want to join her in questioning why it is that we parents seem compelled to accentuate the negative when talking about our children. Or rather, why are there not words to express the joys associated with parenthood?

Now trust me, I know parenthood isn't all warm fuzzies and chocolate chip cookies. There are brutally hard days, I promise I've had my fair share with plenty more on the horizon. I don't think we do anybody any favors when we refuse to acknowledge the difficulties, because that only makes those who are struggling feel alone. So if you are feeling burdened down by your great responsibilities as a parent, know that you're in good company.

But...there IS immense joy. And I want to broadcast that. I want everyone to know that motherhood and fatherhood, though full of sacrifice, brings a sweetness unique to itself. These moments are so fleeting, and easily missed if one chooses not to see them. Yet they are there, and when we focus on the good and seek to have a heart full of gratitude, we can grasp and relish in them.

Here is one I've experienced just today...I'm not sure how to put it in writing, but I'll try.

At 4am I awoke to the gentle crying of my baby. It wasn't a distressed cry, just a "hey Momma! I'm up and hungry" call for my attention. As I went to grab my little Jackson, upon seeing me, his face lit up into the happiest smile. He cooed and squealed, as if trying to tell me about the dreams he dreamt and the angels who visited him in the night. I scooped him up as he kicked around, excited to be getting his morning milk. While nursing him in the soft light of a dim lamp, I rubbed his almost bald little head while he gazed up at me. He kept dropping his latch because of the smiles he wanted to share. I felt perfectly peaceful and content. Tired? Of course. A little overwhelmed about all that needed to be done in the coming day? Yes. But as I snuggled my little one close I was overcome with gratitude for his love for me. Despite all that I do wrong as a mother, I HAVE gained his trust. He knows that when I enter the room, comfort and peace is on its way. He knows I will feed him, clothe him, play with him, smile at him, and love him. It is a beautiful and noble thing to be so purely loved by such a precious little baby.

No day is perfect. There are things that go wrong, chaos to wade through, and some sort of stressful situation to deal with. But if we keep putting our happiness on hold until everything is just right, then we'll never find it. The trick is to savor the good while it is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment